Afromentals – A Dreams in Audio Mixtape

by Brian on March 15, 2010 filed in D.I.A. Mixes

Let’s start the week off right with another Dreams in Audio mix, and one that I’m especially excited about. I continue to focus my attention on African music, and sifting through the records I’ve accumulated over the months I’ve come across a lot of great instrumental tracks. There’s something very pure about instrumentals, not that I don’t like vocals, but it’s another layer that tends to mask the craftsmanship that goes into playing great music. Hypnotic rhythms, punchy horns, soulful keys and psychedelic guitars; the sum is always overflowing with excitement, and that’s probably what I love most about African music.

As the popularity of African music continues to rise, there are more and more quality mixes being thrown out there. Some of my favorites are the ones Superfly Records has up on Paris DJs and of course, Frank over at Voodoo Funk continues to kill it with his selection of mixes. His collection certainly dwarfs mine, but I haven’t seen any African mixes that focus solely on instrumentals, and that’s where the idea for Afromentals came from. These aren’t the most obscure tracks in the world, but they’re definitely groovy and I hope you think the same. Cover art inspired by 101 Apparel’s Africa ’70 t-shirt. Enjoy.

Listen to Part 1

Afromentals Tracklisting:
01. Monomono – Kenimania
(from Give the Beggar a Chance, 1972)
02. Black Children Sledge Group – Sledge Afro Funk
(from Love is Fair, 1976)
03. The Visitors – Here We Come Brothers
(from My Good Friends, 1977)
04. One World – The Movement
(from The Movement, 197?)
05. The Funkees – Abraka
(from Point of No Return, 1975)
06. Ofege – Gbe Mi Lo
(from Try & Love, 1973)
07. Mebusas – Son of Mr. Bull Dog
(from Blood Brothers, 1973)
08. Freedom Family – Holy Worhipping
(from Freedom Family, 1977)
09. Tony Safro – I Beg
(from Superman, 1976)
10. Marijata – Mother Africa
(from Pat Thomas Introduces Marijata, 197?)
11. Aktion – Centipede
(from Clover Comes Together, 1977)
12. Asiko – Hot Black
(from Take A Trip With Asiko, 197?)
13. One World – Fricate
(from Victory, 197?)
14. Afro Funk – Afro Funk
(from Body Music, 1973)
15. The Apostles – Disciple Funk
(from Bank Woman, 1977)
16. Fela Kuti & The Africa ’70 – Chop & Quench
(from Best of Fela Volume 2, 196?/197?)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Mr. Attention March 16, 2010 at 11:55 am

Really looking forward to giving this a listen later today. Happy to see Monomono kick things off and the premise of this mix is excellent.

Mr. Attention March 17, 2010 at 8:32 am

Gotta love that second comment….???

Listened to the mix last night on headphones; EXCELLENT as always. I posted it on my DJ collective’s fan page (we have a blog, but haven’t had the time to get it off the ground yet.)

Thanks for sharing!

Brian March 17, 2010 at 9:01 am

Ha, deleted that spam. Thanks for the compliment. Looks like I may have made a little mistake and forgot about the subtle chants on the Funkees track. So I guess the mix isn’t entirely instrumental. Oh well. Glad you’re enjoying it.

alejandro March 19, 2010 at 9:06 am

Great as usual. From the dead of winter to the African heat, nice switch!I recently got that Black Children Lp, pretty cool and budget friendly too…

Suspicious Briefcase March 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Nice mix, really dug it.

elusive May 31, 2010 at 7:28 am

such an amazing mix! added your site to my blogroll

Uchenna August 15, 2010 at 11:19 am

Excellent mix… Thanks!

Brian August 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Glad you guys are liking it. That’s quite a compliment coming from you Uchenna. Thanks!

Steve August 4, 2011 at 11:50 am

A friend gave me ths CD and i love it! I’m trying to put it in my Itunes lbrary but he has it named track 01 for the whole CD. Is there a break inbetween the songs or do they all flow right into the next song (gapless)? I’m trying to list all the songs in my library but i don’t think i will be able to beings that the the whole cd is named track 01?

Brian August 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Steve, there should be two parts to the mix. Sounds like your friend maybe just gave you the first part? In total it should be about 70 minutes long. You can download the entire mix through the link above. Thanks!

n64 emulator app February 4, 2014 at 8:15 am

Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, Wario in the odd Wario’s Woods,
and others. For issues of the real device the developer has only
one option of buying the Android Phone called Dev1 especially those located outside US.
You’ll need to do specific searches on your own favorite internet search engine for SNESDS
(a word) and you will get the official snes – DS website, which you could always download the most recent
version of the emulator.

dragons world hack March 5, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Usually I don’t read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do so!
Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice article.

объебос March 17, 2014 at 4:03 am

I read this post fully concerning the comparison of latest and earlier technologies, it’s awesome article.

Geek Tales April 17, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is
getting more from this website, and your views are nice designed for new viewers.

ableton live 9 patch April 23, 2014 at 9:03 am

It’s nearly impossible to find well-informed people in this particular
subject, but you seem like you know what you’re talking
about! Thanks